The student news site of Rogers Heritage High School

The Talon

Mexican Culture

Syndy Torres

There are various cultures and traditions around Mexico that draw your interest. Religion, holidays, clothing, food, and many more aspects. I love being Mexican because the culture is so rich and bountiful.

This country’s main religion is Roman Catholic. 89% of their population is Roman Catholic. The Patron Saint of Mexico is the Lady of Guadalupe (La Virgen De Guadalupe). She is not only a religious icon but a symbol of patriotism. La Virgen is said to have helped convert the indigenous people of Mexico to Christianity. She has a blend of Aztec and Spanish heritage. Her image was used by Miguel Hidalgo when he led a revolt against the Spanish in 1810.

Mexico has different kinds of holidays and traditions. Fiestas or parties,  typically have parades, fireworks, competitions, and pageants. At fiestas, prayers are held, there are burning of candles, and traditional masks. In Mexico, they have these specific fiestas in December. You can spend the day with your family and friends, and enjoy the entertainment. September 16th is Independence Day, which celebrates Mexico’s liberation from Spain’s rule in 1810.

The clothing in Mexico is very intricate and beautiful. There is an elaborate suit called “Charro” that cowboys or mariachis wear, typically, the mariachis wear black with silver metal stitched into it. Sarape is a large blanket like shawl worn with boots. In larger cities, fashion takes a forward turn with  Mexico’s very own fashion week.

The food is the best around! Mexico is known traditionally for its spicy dishes! Burritos, tacos, enchiladas are all staple foods and are very common in households as well as in restaurants.Horchata is a common beverage made of rice, cinnamon, and sometimes vanilla.

There are different kinds of sports and games. Soccer is the most widely celebrated and popular sport. The sport features teams from all around the world! Bullfighting is also very popular in Mexico, despite not being an organized sport. The largest bullfighting venue in the world, which is located in the Plaza Mexico, holds 48,000 people.

There are many types of music. Mariachi is a folk style of music consisting of five musicians wearing a “charro” suit. Folk songs called ‘Corridos’ will tell a story of the Mexican Revolution, pride, romance, poverty, politics, and crime. Other types of music are Banda, Norteno, and Ranchera styles. All the other types of music also tell stories, just like the folk type songs.