The student news site of Rogers Heritage High School

The Talon

What Flight Night Means

Gavin McClung, Writer

Flight Night is an introduction into the sports season and acknowledging athletes and sports teams around the school. It gets students, athletes, and teachers hyped for the games and helps spread some school spirit.

There are many different opinions about Flight Night especially between the seniors, freshmen, coaches, and people who aren’t in athletics. Ty Olsen, a basketball player in his senior year claims Flight Night is important to him because “this one is one of the more important ones to me because this is the time I’ll be announced as a senior. It’ll be one of the things that leaves my mark on the school.” Knowing this is his last Flight Night, he feels like “It’s bittersweet because I’ve been doing this for so long. But I’m also excited for it at the same time especially since it’ll be the one I remember the most.”

Robyn Bertuca plays Volleyball and is the captain for the freshmen team, so this is her first Flight Night to actively participate in. When asked what she was expecting, her response was “Flight Night is a night when the school introduces the athletes and helps build school spirit.” Bertuca added that she is excited because “I love being the captain of my team, I love my team, and I absolutely love this sport. And I’m glad that my team and I will be recognized because we’ve been working hard.”

Garrison Carroll is in baseball and was announced in seventh and eighth grade for Oakdale football, so this isn’t his first Flight Night. I asked him what the event means to him, and he responded with, “Flight Night is a time to show off the school’s athletes and take time to show the community what’s going on in the school.”  Carroll is excited too, “I’m excited for Flight Night as a War Eagle because I’ve been in Flight Night since my Oakdale career but this be a will new experience.”

While most students give answers along the same line, coaches have varying responses. Coach Miles, the head track coach and assistant cross country coach, did have a differing opinion from students when asked what he thought of Flight Night, “The idea of Flight Night is a great idea. It’s a chance for athletes to be recognized by their parents and the school. It started off as something for Football but moved on and we announce the other sports extremely well.”

Flight Night gets students, parents, and teachers ready for the sports seasons and is a great way to kick them off. It’s also a chance for all sports to be recognized. Overall, Heritage does amazing at recognizing it’s athletes and people in our community enjoy Flight Night.