The student news site of Rogers Heritage High School

The Talon

Filed under Humans of NWA, Showcase

Spotlight: Mr. Dyer Carithers

Upon walking into my interview, Mr. Dyer Carithers (though pretty much everyone knows him as Mr. Dyer) was enthusiastically introduced as “the most important man on campus.” For those of you who don’t know him by his name, Mr. Dyer is the nice maintenance man who always wears the hat and denim shirt. We wanted to recognize his work and enthusiasm, so we sat down with him to ask him about his life.

The 68-year-old (69 later this month) has been working in maintenance for 42 years, and he’s worked at Heritage since six months after it opened in 2008.

Dyer is a hard working man who has been known to come to the school to start his work as early as 4:00 am.

“I don’t improve the school. I work to keep everything nice and new. I fixed the bent railing recently.”

When asked what the best part of his job is, Mr. Dyer was quick to answer that “Interacting with teachers and kids and getting acknowledgment for the work” is the best part.

When he went to high school, Blackie Bond was his coach during his freshman year. Today, he calls Mr. Bond a friend. “We meet up at church and we’ll sometimes talk about the excuses I told to get out of class; he’d let me!”

Mr. Dyer says he doesn’t make up excuses for getting out of work. “I could have retired two years ago but I like working. I love watching the kids because it keeps me young at heart.  Sometimes I made excuses for school.”  But looking back he has a piece of advice for students: “Pay attention. Pay attention in school and out of it.  You’re learning right now and you want out, but after graduation, you get a reality check. There is no more fun and games and you have to face reality. Pay attention here to help you later in life. Don’t make excuses for school.”

Mr. Dyer wishes students would notice that they contribute to the destruction of the school. Whether it be physically breaking things or just leaving trash, he tells us that he wishes students would take more pride in keeping Heritage nice.

Despite being so dedicated to his job, work isn’t the only thing Mr. Dyer does with his time. Outside of school, he spends time woodworking. He also enjoys riding his trike in the American Legion Riders post 100 motorcycle group. They actively honor veterans and participate in Wreaths Across America, an organization that decorates veteran’s graves with wreaths during the winter season.

When asked about his favorite snack, Mr. Dyer says “I don’t have a snack that I just go out and get, but my wife makes a spicy Chex-mix thing and I like that. She usually puts Bugles in.”

Mr. Dyer fondly remembers a day where he was job shadowed. “A gentleman wanted to shadow me, which was unusual. Kids don’t usually grow up wanting to be in maintenance, but he was interested. I wanted to make this day special so I had electricians drop by to meet him. I had some other people come too. We made him realize that he can’t do it all and he had to pick a craft.” Unfortunately for our entertainment, Mr. Dyer doesn’t recall a crazy story about any kids. “They don’t call me for crazy things, they only call me if something is broken. I don’t get to see much of how it gets broken.”

Veterans are people Mr. Dyer admires deeply. “Veterans are my favorite people. Men and women who serve this nation, some who give their all.”

Mr. Dyer is a wonderful part of this school who often goes unrecognized. Please remember to say thank you if you see him around.

Here’s what some of our staff members had to say about Mr. Dyer:

“The world would be a better place if there were more Dyers.” – Mr. Arnhart

“Dyer is one of the kindest and hardest working men I know. Anything I asks him to do for me, he does for me quickly and beautifully. I couldn’t do without Dyer!” – Ms. Kitty

“Dyer has mastered excellent ‘Customer Service’.  He is always positive and caring as well.  I wish we had more people on this earth who have his work ethic.” – Ms. Drinkwine

“Dyer is the handiest man to have around! Whatever is broken, no matter what it is, he can fix it every time, and he does it with a big smile on his face. He is my go to guy any time I need a helping hand. We are lucky to have him at Heritage.” – Mrs. Porter

“He is a jewel! He was amazingly accommodating when I moved into my classroom this summer! I have never seen him without a smile!” – Ms. Cook

“Mr. Dyer is always generous with his time and talents! He loves his Cardinals, which we disagree, but he is the glue that holds Heritage together!! We all Love Mr. Dyer” – Ms. Collins

“He’s the energizer bunny. Always there for to help anyone who needs him. From biggest to smallest jobs, with a smile on his face.” – Ms. Drysdale

“If it were not for Dyer, the building would literally fall down around us! He keeps the place functional!” – Mr. Levering

“Whenever I have to call up Dyer on the “Bat Phone”….SuperHero Dyer always answers immediately and comes to the rescue!  Our school would feel less warm, friendly and spotless if it were not for Dyer solving issues for us all day long.  Dyer is the definition of “over and above” – Mrs. Shepard

“Mr. Dyer is the best maintenance man ever because he knows all of his coworkers and cares about them, no matter what their job.  He does really hard work, never complains, and is always there to help out and encourage everyone.  He trains college and young men who work with him during their vacations.  He also enjoys his family and knows how to enjoy his time off taking trips across the country with his wife.” – Ms. Naramore

“Dyer is always a cheerful face. He knows everyone’s names and addresses us with the warmth of a good friend. He will fix any problem I have if he can, and get the information to someone else quickly if he is not. He builds amazing organizing carts that I have used to store papers in my art class, he opens my door when I’m locked out, and gives 100% to everything he does. Heritage wouldn’t be as great without Mr. Dyer keeping things operating smoothly!” – Mrs. Brener

“I have known Dyer for around 30 years.  He has always been one of the most responsible and caring people I know.  I highly admire and respect him.” – Ms. Gregory

“Dyer is a thoughtful, considerate and hardworking man and Heritage is blessed to have him! The school would not be the same without him!!!” Ms. Jacobson

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Spotlight: Mr. Dyer Carithers”

1. Vickie Boyd on March 7th, 2017 9:48 pm

Mr Dyer is one of the kindest man I know. Every time he walks into the kitchen at HHS he has a big smile on his face and greets you. If you need anything he will make sure it gets done. I appreciate everything Mr. Dyer dose we are blessed to have him at RPS.

[Reply]

2. Peggy Brown on March 8th, 2017 12:07 am

I had the privilege to work with Dyer from the time he came to work at Heritage until I retired in 2014. He was always ready to lend a helping hand and was cheerful while doing so.

[Reply]

3. Shelby hawkins on March 8th, 2017 3:48 am

Yes he is a great man. I loved helping him in highschool. He always knows how to put a smile on others faces! I am very blessed to have gone to school where I did and have interaction with all the people I did. Good or bad. I miss it there.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Spotlight: Mr. Dyer Carithers

Humans of NWA

Student Spotlight: Kassandra Rodriguez

• Spotlight: Mr. Dyer Carithers

Humans of NWA

Student Spotlight: Radhika Katke

• Spotlight: Mr. Dyer Carithers

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

• Spotlight: Mr. Dyer Carithers

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

• Spotlight: Mr. Dyer Carithers

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

• Spotlight: Mr. Dyer Carithers

Humans of NWA

Freedom of the Armpits Gains Confidence

• Spotlight: Mr. Dyer Carithers

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

• Spotlight: Mr. Dyer Carithers

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

• Spotlight: Mr. Dyer Carithers

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

• Spotlight: Mr. Dyer Carithers

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

Spotlight: Mr. Dyer Carithers