The student news site of Rogers Heritage High School

The Talon

Living the Early College Experience

Indigo Kroll, Editor

It’s Monday morning, 7:30 AM. Heritage High School has just opened its doors, but Andrea Martinez is already sitting down for her first class. She is one of the handful of juniors who are a part of the Early College Experience (ECE) at NWACC. While her peers prepared for their third year of high school, she was preparing for her first year of college.

ECE is an opportunity given to students interested in pursuing both their high school diploma and an associate’s degree at the same time. Students begin their day taking a few classes at NWACC, and then they drive to Heritage to finish the rest of their day. After the program is completed, they can either get a good job with their diploma and degree, or they can continue their education at a four-year university. When she first heard about it, Martinez was hesitant to sign up. Now, she’s glad that she took the leap. “It was something new and unexpected. It was both crazy to take it and to not take it.”

Martinez says that college is pretty similar to what people imagine. There’s much more work to be done, and it can be stressful at times. Balancing the classes from each school is something she had to get used to, and there are distinct differences between what’s expected of her from the schools. “In college, there’s no one there to remind you to get work done. Teachers don’t do that. You’re responsible for yourself, and you have to do the work.”

Freshman and sophomore year, she was treated more like a child. At NWACC, her professors and peers treat her like an adult. She is given many more freedoms, but there’s also more responsibility that comes with those privileges. “You’re a kid in high school. Actions get overlooked at times. But in college, deadlines are deadlines. Changing the environment every day is difficult. When you get back to high school, you have to get used to not having as many freedoms. In college, I can just walk out to go to the restroom, but in high school, I can’t get up without teachers asking, “Where are you going?” You have to get used to that.”

Her professors don’t just leave her to sink or swim, though. Martinez feels that she is given every opportunity to succeed in all of her classes. Phone numbers, emails, office hours – all the resources she needs to do well is made available to her. Because of this, she believes that she has more of a head start on the “real world” than students not enrolled in the program have. The program has prepared her for her future, and she likes that she’s surrounded by like-minded people. “I’m with other people who are doing the same thing as me… trying to get a college degree. We go to the cafe together, even.”

Martinez has developed a recent interest in marketing, and she plans to transfer to a four-year university when she graduates. After finishing two more years to earn her Bachelor’s degree, she hopes to start working right away.

Although it might seem like it, her college experience isn’t all stress and Red Bull. “I was in psychology, and we were lecturing. My friend next to me decides to take out her slime. She just starts playing with it during class. My professors sees her and asks what it is. When she said slime, he said, ‘Yeah, okay, class is dismissed.’ He just dismissed us in the middle of the lecture because he said that’s the craziest thing he’d seen in class.”

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Living the Early College Experience”

1. Amber C. on March 31st, 2017 10:17 am

Awesome insight on real-life college experiences! I love the every-day detail about what to expect here in NWA.

[Reply]

2. Liam on March 31st, 2017 10:29 am

Cannot wait for college, but I don’t feel regret for not taking that program my high school career. College will have its time in my life, right now I’ll enjoy high school

[Reply]

3. Sylvia Reyes on March 31st, 2017 10:32 am

I think that this is a super great opportunity that’s offered to the juniors this year! I would have really loved for it to have been available my junior year, because it is just an awesome opportunity for those who are prepared for something like this!!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Living the Early College Experience

News

Las Vegas Strip Shooting

• Living the Early College Experience

News

Protesters March to Downtown Rogers in Support of DACA

• Living the Early College Experience

Showcase

Seizure Awareness

• Living the Early College Experience

News

2017-2018 New RHHS Teachers

• Living the Early College Experience

Student Life

What Flight Night Means

• Living the Early College Experience

Student Life

Senior Year

• Living the Early College Experience

Opinions

The Reality of Our Justice System

• Living the Early College Experience

Sports

Lonzo Ball: The Rookie Living Up To His Name

• Living the Early College Experience

Entertainment

What Is: Teacher Jeopardy?

• Living the Early College Experience

Student Life

Rogers School District Teacher of the Year

Living the Early College Experience