The student news site of Rogers Heritage High School

The Talon

Freedom of the Armpits Gains Confidence

Callie Marie CB, Writer

Senior Sadie Reidy decided to stop shaving. She went a full 4 months without using the razor on her pits and keeps shaving her legs to a minimum.

I wanted to experience how it felt to have hairy armpits. Once I got going, I was too lazy to shave them. You get really used to having it.”

Many would look upon shaving as a necessity for all women. I personally remember the first time my mom said, “You are old enough; You need to start shaving.” and she sent me off to the shower with cream and a sharp new razor. Why society allows for men to have armpits look like a gorilla’s and expect women’s pits to be as smooth as silk I just don’t know. Some of us women love the feeling of the fresh shave, but others like Sadie may find it as an unnecessary hassle.

“I realize it’s gross, but it’s gross for men too! Hair is hair. It doesn’t matter if you’re a girl or boy.”

If I were to even consider not shaving, I would be worried about judgement from others. I know it would be noticed — how would others view me?

I asked Sadie if she ever worries about how others would think of it, but, to my surprise, she said, “Absolutely not!” So many people told her to shave (me included). Even with her mom, sisters, and boyfriend requesting she take the razor to the shower, she refused.

“None of them could get me to shave. I was 100% comfortable with them (her armpits). I showed them off!”

While gaining a great deal of armpit hair, Sadie also claims to have gained self confidence. Even after taking a break and shaving, she participated in No Shave November and has currently extended the period to No Shave December, or Don’t Do It December.

“Everyone was telling me what to do, but I had the choice to do it or not. I didn’t care what people thought about the hair. I did it for myself.”

I immediately thought: Feminism! I asked Sadie if she believed herself to be a feminist.

“Not really in a political way. I believe women and men are equal in that sense, but was mostly for me. I didn’t do it to prove for others. It was about seeing how long I could go and not care at all what people say.”

We can all take this with a little inspiration. Not the kind of inspiration where all of human existence throws away the razors, but we could all learn to do things for ourselves. So many of us try to impress others, even when they are not pleasing themselves. Sadie’s body is hers. My body is mine. Your body is yours. I know that not shaving your armpits is a funny example of this, but it really is the little things that make a difference. Make that difference in your life and do you, for you!

1 Comment

One Response to “Freedom of the Armpits Gains Confidence”

1. Kristie Daut on March 9th, 2016 10:22 am

What beautiful writing, Callie! Sadie is a strong, proud personality!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Freedom of the Armpits Gains Confidence

Humans of NWA

Student Spotlight: Kassandra Rodriguez

Humans of NWA

Spotlight: Mr. Dyer Carithers

Humans of NWA

Student Spotlight: Radhika Katke

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

Humans of NWA

Freedom of the Armpits Gains Confidence