The student news site of Rogers Heritage High School

The Talon

Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

What Is: Teacher Jeopardy?

Jeopardy is an American televised trivia game hosted by Alex Trebeck. The show does an annual special where they select teachers to participate on the show for one week in a series of elimination rounds. Of the 70,000 prospective teachers who took the online test, 3000 called back for auditions, and 400 total who will be on the show, two of the teachers selected to actually be contestants on the show are from our very own school! Mr. Cody Vest and Madame Parker will be on the show. They went for their auditions last August, right before this school year started. Jeopardy producers assure everyone that they selected the two competitors from one school on accident and intended on choosing teachers from very different areas nationwide. They were okay with hosting two teachers from one state but were also surprised to learn they were hosting two teachers from the same B hall of Heritage High.

“I felt shocked, awed, and humbled to be selected.  I almost cried on the phone when Laurie (one of the contestant coordinators) told me what was happening because it had been a dream of mine for so long. ” Mr. Vest said about finding out that he had made it through the callbacks and on to the show.  Madame Parker said, “I was completely amazed!  I already knew Mr. Vest had gotten the call earlier in the day, so I was really surprised to see the number come up from California, because I knew that people who knew each other weren’t usually allowed to play against each other.  Being on Jeopardy! has been a dream of mine for a long, long time (to the point that I always use the exclamation point when I write about it), and it felt like a dream, especially because I knew we’d be filming the week of my birthday.”

As for their favorite moments of being on the show, “Hands down [my favorite aspect of being on the show] was the other contestants.  Mary and I went in expecting fierce competitors (Believe me; the competition was extremely fierce), but we all immediately bonded in the crucible of Trebekistan.  We are all still in touch almost daily through email and social media.  Of course, competing on the show was also a dream come true.  It was surreal; it still doesn’t seem like it actually happened.”  Mr. Vest said while Madame Parker said, “I was completely amazed!  I already knew Mr. Vest had gotten the call earlier in the day, so I was really surprised to see the number come up from California, because I knew that people who knew each other weren’t usually allowed to play against each other.  Being on Jeopardy! has been a dream of mine for a long, long time (to the point that I always use the exclamation point when I write about it), and it felt like a dream, especially because I knew we’d be filming the week of my birthday.” Mr. Vest also told us that he was hoping for a category on literature and dreading any categories on science, “and of course I saw both.”  Madame Parker was hoping for “literature or languages as a category, and hoping to avoid sports.  I like sports, but I don’t know a lot of specific sports trivia.”

The two do not compete against each other unless both make it to the final round. They will both have viewing parties so people from the community will be able to watch the airing of the episode with them. Madame Parker’s episode is May 9th and Mr. Vest’s is May 10th. This is very exciting because both teachers are known around school for being trivia junkies.  We don’t yet know the results, so to keep updated on their progress watch Jeopardy every night on your TV next week! You can also view Jeopardy’s website to stay updated on all things Jeopardy. Wish our teachers luck!